Pencil Sharp Tutoring Services
- Reading & Writing Skills
- Homework Help
- English/ Reading and Academic Writing
- Social Studies/Current Events
- Test Preparation
High School through College Studies
- Human Biology
- World History
- Standardized Exams/Test Prep
- College Entrance Exams
- Film Making Workshop
- Photography Workshop
- Piano I
- Theory I
- Beginners Vocal Training
- Modern Dance: Martha Graham Technique
- Ballroom Dance: Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Viennese Waltz, Quickstep
- Latin and Rhythm Dance: Salsa/Mambo, Cha Cha, Rumba, Bolero, Triple Swing, Hustle, West Coast Swing, Meringue, Argentine Tango
- Ballet Fundamentals - basic technique that stresses alignment, placement and coordination.
- Modern Dance Stretch - uses a series of dance exercises in combination with breathing to release shoulder, neck and back tension
- Contemporary - focuses on movement principles that help with making dancers able to handles various styles of contemporary choreography
Fundamentals of English
Pencil Sharp Tutoring Services’ “Fundamentals of English” program is a comprehensive series of weekend lessons designed to give 3rd - 6th grade students a fast track to improving their reading comprehension, writing skills, and overall literacy. The primary emphasis of each lesson will be on helping young scholars establish and develop the skills necessary to succeed in today’s educational system, through both demonstration and practice.
The objective of each lesson will be to develop and maintain foundations in the following principles:
- Grammar & Syntax
- Reading Comprehension
- Public Reading & Speaking
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Analytical & Creative Writing
Although we will be adhering to standard ELA models and practices, we at Pencil Sharp also understand that each and every student learns the mechanics of languages in their own way. It is therefore our goal to ensure that students fully comprehend each and every lesson before moving on to the next lesson, regardless of how each student learns. Classes will be composed of 6-8 students, and will be held on Saturdays and Sundays for the duration of 90 minutes.
Fundamentals of Math
Pencil Sharp Tutoring Services’ “Fundamentals of Math” program is a comprehensive series of weekend lessons designed to give 3rd - 6th grade students a fast track to improving their Math literacy. The primary emphasis of each lesson will be on helping young scholars establish and develop the skills necessary to succeed in today’s educational system, through both demonstration and practice.
Lessons will be oriented around the following concepts:
- The Order of Operations
We will be utilizing the five Strands of Mathematics Proficiency, according to the Common Core model (http://mason.gmu.edu/~jsuh4/teaching/strands.htm), to ensure that each lesson adheres to the principles of New York’s Educational requirements. Classes will be composed of 6-8 students, and will be held on Saturdays and Sundays for the duration of 90 minutes.